Monday, November 4, 2013

ATTENTION: New Life Plan!

          Many of you (meaning most, if not all, of you who are my Facebook friends) are already aware that I have recently made a decision to change my life plan.

          I am currently living in the Netherlands for a year as an Au Pair (that much is evident from the title of my blog). I graduated with a B.A. in History from The University of Mississippi in May. For a while now, it's been my plan to spend the year in Europe and then return to the states to start law school, eventually becoming either an international lawyer, or some other form of attorney, but not any more.

          During a normal Facetime conversation with my mama one evening last week, she casually asked me if I had ever thought about doing catering or event planning. I responding saying that of course I had thought about it! It would be a dream job, either that or simply owning my own restaurant. I always thought of the idea, however, in more of an it'd be awesome, but it's just not possible: I'd never make it kind of way. But the thought, supported and suggested by both my parents, quickly escalated into a full blown plan, and I mean quickly, as in, within the next two hours.

          I had been realizing gradually over the past few moths, that law wasn't something that I was particularly dead-set on pursuing. It was becoming more and more evident that each time I informed someone of my plan to attend law school after my year abroad, that I was actually trying to convince myself that it was what I really wanted. Don't get me wrong: I think that I would make an excellent attorney and I would find international law extremely interesting. I don't, however, think I would find it interesting enough to spend ten years after school working my butt off to not only rise up within the ranks of whichever company or firm I worked for, but also to pay off tens of thousands of dollars of student loan debt.

          Everyone always tells me that I should have my own restaurant or bakery or run a catering business. My response is always the same, something along the lines of: "maybe one day in the far future after I have plenty of money from whatever other job I've slaved at for years."

          Why slave away for years over something else that I don't truly love? Why not spend that time and effort to have and do what I really want now?

           So, with my parents suggestion now firmly in the category of definite possibilities, I did the next thing my mom recommended: seeing if my younger sister, who was also struggling with what she really wanted to do with her life, would be interested in joining me in my endeavor.

          After I ended the Facetime call with my parents, I wasted no time in immediately Facetiming my sister, who answered while in her Student Union. I told her to get ready because I had to tell her our new life plan. I did and she was, similarly, immediately all for it! She thought I was joking at first, of course. Who wouldn't think I was kidding after telling everyone for the past year that my plan was law school and then all of a sudden, in less than a couple of hours, completely and totally changing my mind? Once she got over that, though, and actually believed me, she was game.

          So, my sister Erin and I are going to get our Culinary Arts/Hospitality Management/Event Planning Associates Degrees atone of the local community colleges, while living at our family's beach house next year. She only has to transfer, since she is currently finishing up an Associates degree at the college's other campus this year. I have to register with the college and then we'll be all set to start our new adventure!

          After finishing school up, we plan to eventually open our own catering/event planning company. So, we're now taking suggestions and ideas for the perfect company name!

          I know this path is drastically different than the one I was one before. I realize that some people may think I'm crazy. I also, however, know that this will make me much happier than a law degree ever would. I think I finally found what I really want to do and I'm extremely happy and excited, and obviously a bit nervous about it!

I can't wait to start our adventure next year! 
Until then, more adventures in Europe to look forward to, both culinary and otherwise! 

I made this delicious quiche for dinner the day after I decided all of this:


For which the recipe will, unfortunately have to wait till another day.

Maybe it will be on the menu of our catering company one day! Who knows...



No comments:

Post a Comment